Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Llamas Make Friends

San Jose is pretty chill. I mean, I could definitely live here indefinitely and be happy if the cost of living weren't so outrageous. But lets not go there. Instead, lets talk about the people.

Our first day here about eight dudes from our local church showed up to help us unload the U-haul we'd just driven for 15 hours straight over-night. Score niceness! But then we thought, "well, maybe its a fluke? Maybe they're just exceptionally used to people moving in but then will forget about us after the novelty wears of next Sunday?

Nope. Three Sundays later and everyone is still super nice and chill and fun to be around. And they genuinely care that a nine-month pregnant Llama and her Mr. moved into their area and want to help us however they can. I think perhaps it has something to do with the fact that there are a lot of young couples with babies attending the same church, most of whom have moved in fairly recently as well. So it's a community of people looking out for each other, because they've been there and done that. Mostly though, I know it's because of this wonderful church we all have in common and the teachings I hold so dear. "Observe and then Serve" was the theme of one of our lessons this past Sunday, and I can say whole-heartedly that people here are doing just that.

Now enough sap. I know what you're really wondering.

"So Llama, you say people are awesome, but are you actually making friends, or are you just all praising Jesus together?"

Well yes, we're doing the hallelujah thing, but I'm super proud to say that we're also doing way better than we did in our last area (where it took us about eight months to actually reach out and get to know people)... and have made friends. It's okay to be jealous. I mean, we did invite said friends to dinner on Sunday and feed them that delicious cilantro lime rice with crock-pot chicken that you love, agua de limon, and my renowned chocolate chip and cream cheese cookies. And then we played Apples to Apples and totally connected and it was magical.

Now here's a couple pictures to prove I'm not lying for attention. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of the Papa Bear of this lovely family (who it turns out is just as into iPhone apps as Mr. Llama is), but I will next time. I swear he exists too!

^^^ Apples to Apples. Just like I said. Now stop judging me with your judging eyes!

^^^Look at the hair on this adorable little baby! It's so redly! He is so cute! His parents make good looking babies!

 ^^^And how could they not when the Mama Bear is this pretty? And has such a sense of style! (And great taste in books. I may or may not be friend crushing right now.)


What is your favorite board/card game to play with a group? Would you buy a diaper shaped hat if I started marketing them? Do you have a favorite cookie and will you share the recipe? 

No comments:

Post a Comment