Thursday, July 25, 2013

After a Month...

Today is the day I declare my blog maternity leave officially over. The past few weeks Ruby and I have been getting to know one another and getting used to the whole being alone thing. Because I'm not going to lie, I was pretty terrified when all our family left that I wouldn't be able to keep up and do everything I needed to do by myself while Leighton worked. I mean, those first two weeks of baby girl's life, we had family doing laundry for us, cooking our meals, fetching me glasses of water, rocking the baby to sleep in the middle of the night... how was I supposed to keep up when they were gone and I was in charge of the cooking and the cleaning and the baby and the middle of the night sleep rocking?  How could I do it all and feed the baby every few hours and still manage to keep up with my blog and my reading and hopefully creative writing?

For me, the answer has been to work one thing in at a time. At first, all I did was watch Charmed on Netflix and nurse the baby. Then I managed to shower, and that was glorious. Soon I was doing laundry and fixing some meals and cleaning the house once a week like I did before. And now that I just finished the last episode of the last season of Charmed, It's time to bring back in the blogging and be more productive during the day. Gosh I'm excited about this.

I mean look at me. I'm sitting on the couch, typing up a post and bouncing the baby in her borrowed bouncer with my toes at the same time. I am wonder-woman, basically. Now please hold while I rescue her pacifier for the millionth time.

In Ruby land, our lady is five weeks old now and smiling at us on purpose. She gets especially smiley first thing in the mornings after she has been changed and fed, and after naps when I hold her close and smile at her while making a variety of high pitched noises. It is the cutest thing. Also, she's now wearing size three month clothes (and has been since she turned a month old) and size one diapers. Her hair keeps getting longer and longer too, except for the spot in back that seems to be going bald.

Oh, and the Fourth of July! We did end up in Santa Cruz, but the trip which normally takes about 40 minutes, took us 4 HOURS. Because I was dumb and didn't realize that everyone else in the city of San Jose was also trying to get to the beach for the holiday. Fortunately, Ruby slept like a champ and then ate like a champ when we arrived and slept as we walked around and enjoyed the ocean. And then we turned around and came home. Which only took us 40 minutes.

So here are the photos I took of the Rub-Meister when she turned a month old on the 19th. I can't believe she's getting so big! Slow down, time! Slow the heck down!

Oh and PS: Ruby told me to tell you guys to make sure you tell all your daughters to keep their paws off of Prince George, because he is hers. Please and thank you.


  1. These pictures turned out so perfect! So glad you're blogging again!

  2. Just one quick question.... Why did you leave before I got to meet her?!? She is way too adorable for her own good.

    1. You're just going to have to come visit us in San Jose! Ooooor make time to see Ruby and I when we're in Arizona Sept 3-12. ;)